About the Course
Family Business 101 is a family business leadership and management training program aimed at impacting knowledge and skills on family business management. The program has been carefully designed, the content and delivery carefully developed to practically assist the family business leaders,
family members, non-family managers and board members to expand their knowledge and build skills on how to successful lead and manage family enterprises. The carefully selected faculty for the program will deliver the content and ensure an improved understanding and application on how to navigate the specific challenges, the critical and unique issues that arise and occur in family-owned and managed enterprises.
Target Participants: Owners-Managers, CEOs, Senior Managers, Next Generation, Board Members.
Family Business 101 will give insights into:
- The best strategies and governance structures to preserve and grow the family business and wealth.
- How to optimize communication and strengthen team spirit amongst family members.
- How family members, non-family managers and board members can add value over generations.
- How to develop and implement various business strategic, governance and practical legacy action plans.
The program will help you analyze your business today and reshape it for tomorrow. It is an opportunity to network, share and benchmark with other family firms, all with similar dilemmas. Learn from each other and tap into the IFFB’s long-standing experiences with some of the most successful family businesses in Kenya and the region.
Expected Learning Outcomes
Analyze your family business today and reshape it for tomorrow:
1. Better understanding of the family business model and dynamics.
2. Learn how to leverage the strengths of family business management and successfully implement practices that drive high performance, shareholder loyalty—and healthy family relationships.
3. Navigate specific challenges and critical issues in your family business.
4. Probe key issues facing family businesses: growth, risk, governance, investments, projects, succession, sibling rivalry, wealth management and culture.
5. Learn to manage conflict, complex family structures, diverse personalities and difficult relationships
6. Benchmark best practices to broaden your understanding of successful family businesses
7. Get concrete take-home value to drive overall performance of the business and the family
8. Develop a concrete action plan for career planning, talent development, family meetings, family agreements and governance.
The program will cover family business matters including:
1. UNDERSTANDING FAMILY ENTERPRISES ECONOMIC IMPACT
- Understanding the economic impact of family-owned enterprises.
- Identify and understand their special strengths.
- Learn their special dilemmas and challenges and how to manage them.
2. FAMILY BUSINESS DYNAMICS
- Understand the family business people.
- Identify and understand the family business systems.
- Learn the family enterprise life cycle and the growing complexity.
3. FAMILY RELATIONSHIPS WITH THE BUSINESS
- How to articulate strategic shared vision and values.
- What makes effective business families.
- Learn how to strengthen bonds by learning together.
- Identifying the unifying plans, processes and systems.
4. THE NEXT GENERATION LEADERSHIP
- Making the decision to join or not to join.
- Establish the value of outside experience.
- Understand system overlaps and employment issues.
- Making sibling teams work and manage sibling rivalry.
5. WORKING WITH OUTSIDE PROFESSIONALS
- How to work with a non-family CEO and non-family managers.
- How to select the right candidates as non-executive or independent directors.
- Understanding key financial metrics in business performance.
- Identify and work with professional advisers and consultants.
6. PROFESSIONALISING THE BOARDROOM
- How to make the transition to a professional board.
- Establishing a well-balanced advisory board or board of directors.
- Managing effective board relationships with the family.
- Understand board accountabilities and reporting.
7. MULTIGENERATIONAL FAMILY FIRMS
- Understanding the evolution of family business ownership.
- Learn and respond to the growing complexity in cousin companies.
- How to setup family governance processes and structures.
- Getting the structures working.
8. RESOLVING DISPUTES
- Understand the different disputes in family businesses.
- Establish the various sources of conflict.
- Learn suitable dispute resolution mechanisms.
9. MANAGING SUCCESSION
- Understand why there is resistance to succession planning.
- How to lead the transition and relinquish control.
- Learn how to evaluate succession candidates.
- Making & implementing change a family business tradition.
10. ESTATE PLANNING & FINANCIAL SECURITY
- Learn the different types of Wills, drawing them up and their importance.
- Understanding Trusts, how to create them and their importance.
- Understanding Family Companies, how they are created and how they work.
- Establishing whether to sell/ pass down the business.
- Establish ownership and implementing the estate plan.
11. DIVERSIFYING THE BUSINESS PORTFOLIO
- Build and create value through private equity.
- Investing in Treasury bonds, Unit Trusts, Real Estate and Stocks.
- Understand how to build the portfolio through strategic linkages.
- Establishing whether to go public or not.
12. WEALTH MANAGEMENT
- The Family Office.
- Family business Philanthropy.
- Maintain the family legacy through Foundations.
Your total investment for the course is Ksh. 55,000 per person (inclusive of all applicable taxes). The fee includes the course training materials, reference materials, electronic templates, exercises, venue facilities, executive coaching and the graduation.
For registration details and any further details please contact;
Emma Kimani, email@example.com
Telephone +254 (0) 791 695 511/12/14
Paul Ouma, firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone +254 (0) 791 695 511/12/14
Or 0722 259855
Payment can be made via cash or Cheque to;
Institute for Family Business Ltd
Bank Transfer (kindly provide deposit or the transfer slip )
Account Name: Institute For Family Business Ltd
Account No: 01148163092000
Bank: Cooperative Bank Of Kenya
Branch:Upper hill Branch Nairobi